Sciatica Treatment in Lincoln
At Larson Chiropractic and Acupuncture, we see many patients with nerve pain. Nerve pain can develop almost anywhere in the body; however, one of the most common locations is in the sciatic nerve. This is called sciatica. Those who develop sciatica often struggle with leg pain, and back pain that can inhibit their ability to carry out their daily routine. When it comes to sciatica, there are a few important points that everyone should know.
What is Sciatica and How is it Diagnosed?
Sciatica is the medical term used to describe inflammation of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is one of the biggest nerves in the body. It runs down the length of the back before splitting into two large nerve fibers that travel through the legs. Along the way, the sciatic nerve can become inflamed. When this happens, someone is diagnosed with sciatica.
There are a number of ways that sciatica can be diagnosed; however, a trained sciatica doctor will typically diagnose this condition based on its clinical presentation alone. The doctor will ask someone about his or her symptoms. Then, the sciatica doctor will perform a number of clinical maneuvers to test the sciatic nerve. Based on the responses of the patient, the doctor can confirm the diagnosis. In some cases, additional testing or imaging can be used; however, this isn’t required.
What are the Symptoms and Causes of Sciatica?
If someone is suffering from sciatica, there are a few common symptoms that might develop. These include:
- Pain that is located in the lower back
- Leg pain and discomfort that shoots through one or both legs
- A burning pain located in the hip
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness of the back or legs
Because sciatica typically develops due to inflammation of the sciatic nerve, there are a number of possible causes. These include:
- A condition called lumbar spinal stenosis, which causes compression to develop in and around the sciatic nerve
- A slipped or herniated disc
- Inflammation of the spinal canal itself
- Pregnancy, which causes the abdomen to expand and compress the sciatic nerve
If someone has developed sciatica, there are a number of treatment options available.
How do Chiropractors Provide Sciatica Treatment?
If someone has developed leg pain and is diagnosed with sciatica, he or she might be told that surgery is required. Fortunately, this isn’t always the case. A chiropractor can take a look at someone’s sciatica and figure out why this condition has developed. Then, the chiropractor can perform a series of adjustments and manipulations that can help increase the amount of space around the sciatic nerve. This is done to reduce the amount of inflammation that surrounds the sciatic nerve, helping someone’s symptoms dissipate.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Sciatica Treatment
There are a number of benefits that will come from using a chiropractor to help with sciatica treatment and leg pain. These include:
- A chiropractor can help treat sciatica without prescribing any drugs or medications, limiting the number of potential side effects
- A chiropractor will be able to help someone stay out of the operating room while recovering in an all-natural way
- Finally, a chiropractor will work to identify the root cause of someone’s sciatica, helping to not only treat the symptoms but prevent the condition from returning
These are only a few of the many reasons why anyone with sciatica should rely on the help of a trained chiropractor.
Reach Out to Larson Chiropractic and Acupuncture Today
Those who live with sciatica know just how difficult this condition can be to manage. That is why everyone should call us today. At Larson Chiropractic and Acupuncture, we place the needs of our patients ahead of our own. This has contributed to the fantastic reputation we have throughout the Lincoln, NE area. Please call us today at (402) 421-1626 to schedule an appointment with our team!