Scoliosis Treatment in Lincoln
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is the term used to describe an abnormal curvature of the spine from side to side. While most people are going to have some degree of spinal curvature, if the spinal curvature starts to impact someone’s health, then it is termed scoliosis and medical treatment is required. There are two broad categories of scoliosis. They include:
- Non-structural: In this type of scoliosis, the spine is curved abnormally; however, it still functions normally. This type of curvature is still visible on an x-ray; however, the nerves of the spine and the bones in the back all work exactly as they should.
- Structural: In this type of scoliosis, the function of the spine is impaired. Perhaps the nerves aren’t working exactly as they should, leading to numbness or tingling. This type of scoliosis can also have an impact on the function of organs in the chest and abdomen if they are compressed.
The Causes and Symptoms of Scoliosis
Surprisingly, in the vast majority of cases, medical professionals are unable to figure out exactly why someone has scoliosis. Some of the common causes of scoliosis include one leg being longer than the other, an issue with the alignment of the pelvis, birth defects, cerebral palsy, and other musculoskeletal issues. If the doctors cannot figure out why someone has scoliosis, then the condition is termed “idiopathic.” Some of the most common symptoms of scoliosis include:
- An obvious bend of the spine from left to right or vice-versa
- Back pain and discomfort
- Difficulty standing up straight or walking
- Problems sleeping at night
- If someone’s curvature is particularly severe, this might also lead to trouble breathing (from lung compression in the chest cavity) or digestive issues (due to intestinal compression in the abdomen)
Because of the role the spine plays in the function of the entire body, it is important to have scoliosis evaluated by a trained medical professional.
The Treatment of Scoliosis
If someone has been diagnosed with scoliosis, they might be told that they are going to need a dangerous surgical procedure to help correct the curvature of the spine. This is a dangerous surgical procedure that comes with numerous risks. Fortunately, chiropractic care offers a non-surgical treatment option.
First, a chiropractor will take a look at someone’s spine and measure the exact degree of misalignment. This might entail an imaging procedure. Then, once the degree has been charted, there are numerous treatment options available. A chiropractor can use adjustments and manipulations to gradually move the spine back into its proper alignment. There might also be corrective exercises and physical therapy that can be done to strengthen the back muscles and provide additional support.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care for the Non-Surgical Treatment of Scoliosis
There are numerous benefits of chiropractic scoliosis treatment in Lincoln. First, this non-surgical treatment avoids the possible complications and risks that come with surgery. Furthermore, chiropractic scoliosis treatment in Lincoln will also stay away from prescription medications and the potential side effects they can cause. Finally, a chiropractor will work hard to identify the root cause of someone’s scoliosis and target it. This focuses on not only treatment but prevention as well.
Trust a Scoliosis Doctor in Lincoln from Larson Chiropractic and Acupuncture
At Larson Chiropractic and Acupuncture, we are here to make sure that everyone has access to a scoliosis doctor in Lincoln. We know that many people are nervous about discussing scoliosis treatment. We are here to walk all of our patients through each step of the process. Call us at (402) 421-1626 to make an appointment!